If made in wisdom, I believe video literature (animated or camera based) can be great instrumentality in the impartation of virtuous knowledge onto little ones’ hearts – above keeping them pre-occupied safely. Sadly, apart from being void of godly virtuous doctrine, secular video literature have been noted to embrace practices that directly or otherwise contradict Holy Scriptures. While this proves to have ever been the skeletal bone of secular videos tailored for elderly audience, these evil practices have also been notable in secular video work intended for children.
These foregoing are not all the vices notable on secular children video literature, but only samples of the major evil habits I have personally taken note of from the few I have (not without reluctance) permitted the two boys to watch. These evil practices or habits are either sinful in themselves or defrauds God of his glory-harvest in the lives of the little ones. A glory-loss that will never be made up for even if they may grow up to convert and serve God with the highest piety.
Yes God deserves glory from the first to the last breath from men whenever we can help it. Furthermore, these habits have the ability to mold to the greatest degree possible the character that our growing children will ever adopt (to the piercing of the soul of parents) until the same should be voluntarily uprooted (not without great effort).
- Revenge – This one evil proves to be in the heart of virtually all secular films and videography intended for elderly audience (this I took notice of during my own shameful days of being enslaved to the same – no I by grace follow nothing of the sort any longer). Sadly, it has been notable that video work intended for children will often center around (or condone in passing) the same evil as well. Revenge still belongs to the Lord irrespective of how much vile the offender may have been. But the world does not know this and have to rely on a canal heart’s judgement and therefore easily approves of inflicting a measure of hurt or jeering at some misfortunes that may happen to a villain (an evil character). So as to suggest that it is acceptable to seek the hurt of a bad figure.
- Lies – Another odious evil marked in secular plays intended for children is lies – though careful not explicitly glory upon, this abominable practice proves approved in secular children plays as long as it is exercises in instances where they can ideally term it (as they do in real life) “white lie”. A lie judged necessary as they feel it is aimed at sparing one from unnecessary trouble.
- Careless use of bad language – While not as defiant as that common in films and videography intended for elderly audience, plays meant for children are very often found to feature the use of language that cannot be entirely approved off when looked upon in light of the Holy Scriptures. The greater part of which language goes uncensored – or at least not effectively.
- Ghosts & Monsters – In their quest to create appealing story lines, secular animators often embrace dearly the evil idea of monsters and ghosts which somewhat installs/fosters unnecessary fear and intimidation (entailing torture) in the hearts of little ones.
- Magic, witchcraft and wizardry – Instead of growing up mindful of God’s divine powers as that to be ever coveted and highly held in honor, little ones exposed to secular children animations are likely lead to lean onto Magic, witchcraft and wizardry as the ultimate supernatural powers they can count on as these be all the world knows, embraces and mimics without any ernest feeling of guilt.
- Super Heroes (either themselves or someone). The ‘super hero’ concept which is amongst the highly esteemed themes in secular children animations is a notion that sadly abides in idolatry (of self dependency or in that of a similitude). Yes a super hero figure is a very competent substitute of Deity in the heart of a little one. And because idolatry is one of the appetites found in a canal heart, it is only natural for the little ones to easily submit under. And thereby cultivating the worship self or that of a similitude. No not even fleshly fathers are to be counted heroes by their children.
- Endorsement of non-sober and sensual dressing – While often not verbally, secular children plays displays great carelessness in dressing. dressing that are normally showy, sensual and utterly void of godly sobriety. Which little ones will often conclude to be acceptable – making it needful for parents to manually be exercised in the uprooting of the same evil mindset and in its place force in Spirit borne dress code.
- Pride & haughtiness – A canal heart is, amongst others, prone to self-sufficiency and this evil is not exception in secular plays tailored for growing audience. Yes the stench of pride is often discernible in the entire lifestyle of a secular kids film figure/character.
- Boasting – While a man is to never glory in strength, riches or wisdom but in that he knows the Lord as per the Holy Scriptures (the same doctrine that little ones needs to be brought up in with the contrary teaching sharply discouraged as any other abominable habit), secular plays often embrace/condone evil showing off of personal attainments.
- Selfish – Though it may take a diligent spiritual eye to identify (as the world’s conscience is also subject to knowledge of the right and wrong), you will still mark out selfishness being displayed in secular video work meant for kids and goes uncensored.
- Humanism – As one may expect, even in their highest attempt to impart their most innocent lesson, their doctrine is in any case ever humanitarian in nature (aims to promote human welfare as the ultimate end) and never to the glory of God who sacrified his Son for the redemption of fallen mankind amongst other wonde. While seeking human welfare is never evil on its own, it is to ever come second (and often as a by-product) and seeking the Glory of God coming first and foremost!
Apart from the fact that this is all the world knows, secular animators and film makers ever seeks to secure the highest number of audience for their produce (as this often means higher ROI). To achieve this, they then need to theme their Video work on what will interest hearts the most. And because all the above evils are sadly part of what makes up the hearts of a canal/fallen men, it is only logical to expect them to conclude the same as what men will heartily relish.
Hence allowing our beloved little ones to pass the time watching secular Video literature also exposes them to these ungodly practices and joeperdise their up-bringing. It is enough torture to know that these evils habits and practices are passed on from birth (the canal nature) and that they are expected to ever seek a platforms to manifest themselves in the little ones’ persons (requiring believing parents to sharply censor the same in each case).
Anything therefore that knowly condone the same ungodly practices should be discouraged so far as possible. Hence rendering it expedient to covet an establishment (if the Lord would permit) that would labour to bring forth video work that will be free of these evils (except in cases where it shall be deemed necessary to safely mimic any of them so to be able to ideally censor the same later on video film). Video literature that will ever seek to declare that men (old or young) should ever live to the Glory through Christ Jesus by who’s shed blood redemption was wrought. Yea that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again. You can read the likeChrist Ministries’ fuller story here.
Through all our kids oriented sub-ministries, the following are some of the questions we seek to answer:
- How do our younger children (as Christian parents) pass their time on daily basis?
- How do we keep them preoccupied when we have to be busy elsewhere?
- What do they do when not at Sunday school or elementary?
- What computer or phone games do we let them play?
- What stories do they read or listen to (both at home as well as school?)
- What video literatures do they pass their time watching?
- Who (or what material) facilitates their elementary education?